Thursday, November 29, 2018

Shavonne Martinez: My Education Journey


I graduated from Fort Dorchester High School in 1999 and began attending Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina in August of the same year.  In 2003, I graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice as well as dual minors in Psychology and Sociology.  I had decided that I wanted to pursue a career in the counseling field; particularly with those who had involvement with the criminal justice system.  After graduation, I moved back to Charleston and began applying for job after job, to no avail. 

In my mind, finding employment with a college degree should not have been so difficult; it became very frustrating.  Rather than giving up, I enrolled in the Paralegal Program at Trident Technical College.  While enrolled in the Paralegal Program, I decided to take a position as a work study in the Legal Studies Office.  During my time as a work study, a position in the Human Resources Department at Trident Technical College opened up and my supervisor at the time suggested that I apply for the position.  I was uncertain as to whether or not I should apply because I had no desire to work in human resources; nonetheless, I applied because I needed a full-time job and I had nothing to lose.  It wasn’t long after I applied for the position that I completed all the course requirements for the Paralegal Program.
Now, here I am with a high school diploma, a bachelor’s degree and a paralegal certificate but still without a full-time job.  I was able to get a part-time job in Northwoods Mall where I was working for a couple of months when I got a phone call from a Trident Technical College employee telling me that they would like to offer me a full-time position in the human resources office.  I was elated!  Finally, my dedication to my education had paid off!  Although human resources was not my desired career field, I still had plenty of opportunity to use the knowledge I gained from my educational endeavors.  

Shavonne at Stall High School
 FAFSA Blitz
While employed full-time at Trident Technical College, I took evening classes at Webster University and after a year, in 2007, I graduated with a Master’s Degree in Counseling. A year later I was offered a position as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor with men and women involved in the criminal justice system.  One of the major takeaways from that position was that so many people lacked education and were not aware of the many opportunities available to them to accomplish their educational goals. 

Shavonne at North Charleston High School
When the opportunity presented itself, I accepted a position back at Trident Technical College in the Educational Opportunity Center. I was able to extend my reach, not just those involved in the criminal justice system but to the community as a whole.  Working in the EOC allows me to use my counselor hat on a daily basis.  I absolutely love playing a role in helping a person overcome past mistakes and current hardships in an effort to pursue their dream of earning a GED, obtaining a college degree and/or finding employment in a career field that is fulfilling to them. 

I would not have the amazing career that I have if it wasn’t for the path that I took to get here.  My educational journey involved obstacles, frustration and discouragement but it also involved determination, perseverance, and patience.  

You may not be where you want to be at this moment and you may have to reroute from time to time, but as long as you are taking daily steps in the direction of your goals you are sure to come out on top!


No comments:

Post a Comment